The need for a theological seminary on the east coast to serve separatist Baptists had been a concern of Dr. E. Robert Jordan, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church of Lansdale, and of leaders in the church for over a decade. In the summer of 1975, they were constrained to consider the advisability of undertaking the establishment of a seminary. On September 17, 1975, the church voted to proceed, and on September 21 a temporary Board of Trustees was chosen.
In consultation with the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Articles of Incorporation were filed. By January, three full-time and six part-time faculty members had signed contracts. The fall semester opened August 31, 1976 with an initial enrollment of 49.
Notice of approval to use the name "Seminary" and to grant the M.Div. degree was received October 11, 1979. May 16, 1980 was chosen as the date for the first graduation.
On April 1, 1985, permission was granted to award the Th.M. degree. On May 30, 1986, permission was granted to award the D.Min. degree. On September 3, 2004, the seminary was granted permission to award the Master of Arts (Theological Studies) and Master of Arts in Christian Ministry degrees.
© 2012 Calvary Baptist Seminary | 1380 S. Valley Forge Road, Lansdale, Pennsylvania 19446 | 215.368.7538, ext. 101 (phone) | 215.368.1003 (fax)
Web Development & Hosting by Davis Services Group